Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A Brief Introduction and We Can Pickle That!

Hi there! I am Cory, and I love to make things (beer, cheese, clothes, pickles, shelves, etc.).

I stared this blog because I did not ever intend to include food preservation on my "home" blog. But, recently I have become quite taken with this whole canning-pickling-preserving of food thing. I think food waste worldwide is a huge problem, and I am trying to do as little of that as possible.

Until I buy a house and can have a garden, I receive a biweekly produce delivery. It is my goal to use as much as I am able, and send less each week to the compost bin.  This blog will chronicle my attempts to feed myself and put food by.

A short time ago, I picked up a pressure canner (for stocks, soups, and meat products). I am so fortunate to live in a part of the country that has a bountiful growing season, plus excellent, affordable local seafood, which I want to can later this year.

Thus far, here is my bounty (water bath and pressure canned):

 On another note, there is a sketch comedy television program called "Portlandia". It is quite popular here, as it pokes fun (quite accurately) at some Portland quirks.  I was watching Season One the other day, and a skit came on called "We Can Pickle That" featuring a couple that attempts to pickle anything. For example, cd jewel cases and roadkill. All of a sudden, I felt like a Portland stereotype.  Que sera, onward ho pickling!

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment