Saturday, January 11, 2014

I Might Need Help

It is January 11. The high today is 49 degrees. It is alternating between blustery wind and beautiful sunshine. Normal Portland winter. Which has, naturally, gotten me thinking about...The Garden!

While I was wandering about Fred Meyer the other day, I veered into the garden section. To my great delight, they have started stocking 2014 seeds. Now, I will be ordering some super-special items from Territorial, but I just couldn't help myself. They were 40% off!


If the growing season is good, this could be all the produce I need for 2014

So, along with the seed-purchasing extravaganza, comes some contemplation of last year's garden...

  • No zucchini plants this year. The darn things over-produce, and honestly, I don't like zucchini enough to have another 40 pounds to deal with. Plus, they are nearly free during their season. I can spend a couple bucks on zucchini at the farmer's market this year.

  • More tomatoes! I am now down to just a few jars of diced/crushed tomatoes, plus no sauce. More this year. 20 plants is the goal: 15 sauce and 5 slicing and cherry.

  • Limited brassicas. Broccoli and cauliflower are pretty cheap at the markets, plus the plants SPRAWL. I will, however, grow cabbages and Brussels sprouts. And pretty orange and purple cauliflower.

  • Dry/freeze more basil. I ended up using most of my basil in pesto this year. Much though I lurve pesto, I have SO MUCH currently. And almost no pasta (thank you pantry challenge). I suppose I could make pasta (as I have semolina, and am allowing myself to purchase flour), but it is a big undertaking. 

  • I am extending my garden beds. The less grass in my yard, the better. More food! So,I am adding one foot to the sides (no mowing next to the lavender, and two feet in the back, so the pergolas can serve as a vining station). 120 square feet this year, yeah, baby!

Next up? An update on The Great Pantry and Larder Challenge .

Bon apetit, and enjoy your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment